16.12.08

Insidious Oblivion

Ok, it's painfully obvious that I will do many things to avoid writing about my feelings. This morning, for example, I've spent an hour on the computer tinkering with settings, browsing, reading and replying to e-mail and facebook posts, in short, anything but actually doing the kind of writing that will keep me away from the food. I was brought up short when, on the way back to the table from the loo I had a sudden urge to shave a sliver off of last night's tourtiere.

Purely for research purposes
mind you, as I want to make some as christmas gifts, and had purchased a pricey boutique bakery version to study their technique (which besides the addition of a few nice spices seems to boil down to butter, butter everywhere...) Never mind the fact I had had plenty of opportunity to sample it as we had nice size slices for dinner last night. But maybe it would reveal some more secrets cold.... nope. No secrets, just guilt. But that's my disease, coming up with the most shameless hackneyed excuse for eating and then when I follow through on it, it's right there offering a heapin' helpin' o' shame.

But I'm not going to beat myself up over it. It wasn't a binge, it was a sliver. A small slip. I've got to avoid being so black and white in my thinking as in my food. Moderation. Gentleness. Tolerance. For myself and others. So... onward.

I'm feeling holiday pressure. In laws coming over on The Big Day. Eek eek EEEEEK. The last time that happened, which was jeez, over a decade ago, I panicked and cooked enough for at least 12 when there were actually only 5 of us. So this year, scaling down. I've even lucked into having my friend Carole's cleaning lady coming to clean two days before. But the house is a half painted, half renoed mess, but jeez it's so much nicer than it was. I'm paralysed trying to figure out what I should attack next, the crappy drywall in the bathroom, filling nail holes in the kitchen, trying to smooth out the kitchen ceiling... paint the stairs to cover the bare plywood, paint the front foyer and closet, the bathroom, the kitchen???? Aughhhhhhh! I went into a complete spin last week over this, went to bed, covered my head, and ate a ton. A bad binge. I'm just so lucky I had promised my buddy M a drive to the OA meeting that morning. It got me out of it.

So let's look at priorities:

  1. Has to be being abstinent. Work my programme.
  2. The house needs to be reasonably clean. Yay cleaning lady!
  3. Work on my physical fitness this week, including running group, skating tomorrow and a trip to the gym on Friday.
  4. I'd like to paint in the kitchen, maybe get the cupboards and ceiling painted for once. The rest can follow later
  5. Put a tree up. No design questions, just put every freakin' ornament we own on the poor thing until it threatens to fall over.
  6. Make some tourtiere to give friends as gifts.
  7. Make a sensible Christmas meal, not the feast to end all feasts.
  8. Un-stress. Enjoy the day. Cook the damn turkey the day before.
Ok, time to go work on more programme stuff. Do my daily readings, maybe look at some step work. Then lunch, and some spackle.

No comments: