17.10.06

2 Weigh or Not 2 Weigh...

... That is my question here.

When we moved... when was it, mid July, so 3 months ago, I finally threw out my peeling, chocolate brown, 1978 Sears bathroom scale. I haven't bought another one, I've been waffling.

'Twas a time when I weighed myself daily, or following the good old Weight Watchers regimen (fat lot of good that did me) once weekly. I could drive myself nuts with it. And more recently, I weighed myself monthly, after my period to make sure I was getting a more "accurate" (trans: lower) number. But I found that it was accompanied by great angst. Yet I had to do it. But if that number was up, I was in for a bad mood. And thoughts of dieting, which of course made me hungry. The Rooms of OA are rife with hilarious tales of weighing contortionists, the best one was my friend who used to take out her dental partial plate before weighing herself, or my friend who when she weighs herself, monthly, she does it 4 times, with the scale pointing in the directions of the compass! I'm not sure if she averages the number or does what I'd do and take the lowest one!

So, I thought, ok, this old scale is as inaccurate as hell and maybe it's just continuing an unhealthy obsession. It never agrees with my doctor's scale. I'll just rely on my clothes to tell me what's going on. Except most of my pants (I wear a skirt twice a year, roughly) have a certain amount of spandex. On a middle aged body, spandex in jeans means that I can still have a shape, things don't have to be baggy to be comfortable. But I don't trust the spandex to tell me if I'm still an 8. And what if the new pair of pants I bought last month are a funny fit. I can stew on this silly stuff forever, and it seems to happen every time I put on a pair of freshly laundered pants.

So it may be time to cry Uncle, just cut to the chase and buy another damn scale.
I have to admit, the last nearly 4 years of weighing monthly, I didn't have any diet thoughts, except for maybe, ok, time to dial it back a little on the rich desserts last year. The number was pretty stable.

On the other hand, I have a physical in 2 days. Maybe I should just find out what that number is, compare it with the last number in my file, and see then what I should or shouldn't do.
Such a simple and elegant solution, costs nothing, I don't have to shop for a new scale. Just what my crazy brain doesn't want: sanity!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your doctor's office isn't too far from where you live, maybe you can stop in once a month to weigh yourself. I threaten myself with that every now and again and find that it raises anxiety from that dreaded (gak) accountability. You are probably at a point where that's something you can handle. If you end up buying a scale, I look forward to hearing the tale!

Maggie said...

Good idea, Misti! I'm sure my doctor wouldn't mind, she's learning a lot about eating disorders through me.

Cheers,
Mags