11.9.06

Happy New Year

I know I'm not alone in this: The day after Labour Day feels more like the new year than January. I think it's the same for anyone who has spent a lot of time in school and/or has kids. There's usually a more tangible sense of another year starting than at that bleak time in midwinter after Christmas.

This fall is one of those few when I'm not starting a new course of any sort, but I am trying to return to some old healthy habits. I drifted away from my 12 step meetings and regular gym attendance over the summer when we moved into the new house. It might have been equivocation, but I did feel truly too overwhemed with everything for two months and those things got shoved onto the back burner.

But lately I've been feeling pretty stressed out, although the stressful part of the move is mostly over. It was my overactive brain stirring up worries and obsessions to torture me with. And the decrease in my exercise routine combined with a particularly social summer means the jeans are fitting a little tight. I think I've gained 5 pounds or so. I'm not sure because I threw out the old scale. What is the difference between jeans that feel shapely on my middle aged abdomen and "hm, a little too snug"? That puppy was really old --- I'm thinking Sears circa 1980? I doubt it was too accurate any more. I'm not sure if I'll buy another one, oh, likely I will, but maybe for now I'll just let my clothes be my guide. Since I started OA I usually weigh myself only monthly, but in the past I was one of those obsessive weigh myself daily types, so I'm not going to rush. And it isn't as if a new scale is going to pleasantly surprise me right now any way.

So, 2 OA meetings in the past half week and a trip to the gym this afternoon for the first time in several weeks. It felt good. I hadn't lost much strength, lightened up some of the weights a little or did a few less reps, and it did feel good afterward.

No comments: