29.9.06

Keepin' it fresh, keepin' it real

I'm a fill-in speaker at an Overeaters Anonymous workshop in a nearby city tomorrow, I only have to speak for 20 minutes which really isn't all that long, but you know, having spoken a couple of times at local OA events I'm wondering what to say that most of them haven't already heard already. I'm trying hard to keep my ego out of this. Of course, I want to be "Captain OA" and save everyone from themselves, but you know, that isn't possible, because I don't know how to save them, jeez louise I don't even know how to save me most days. Sooo.... ok, got an outline of what they want me to touch on. Touch on??? Holy crap, look at these lightweight issues:
1. Outline the depth of my desperation before I came to OA. Ooooh, fun fun fun that one! How mizerable wuz I???
2. What were the paths I took toward abstinence? That's going to take some work, digging up those memories, and make them coherent...
3. Weight loss nitty gritty. The numbers. Easy one. Pictures to back it up... hmm... I should scan a couple of photos.
4. Clearly define food plan and how it fits with my abstinence... that's a little harder, because my food plan is by definition a bit vague. Or not vague, gentle. I'm not knocking myself over the head because I had one cookie, or a handful of chips. And how does it fit with my abstinence? I guess it's a gentle fit.

Well, I guess I have some writing to do. Offline. I'm sure I'll post bits of it here but that's later.

It's been an up and down week, but overall not bad. I've been a depressed slug in some ways, but in other ways I've been pretty alive. I've been interacting with people, always a challenge when I feel lousy, and sometimes it's like dying a thousand deaths to pick up the damn phone, but I made it through. Some days it has to be enough to be enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your presentation. I'm sure you'll do great! I'd be interested in hearing more about Item #2, particularly how you continued abstinence in the early days. Remember: you are an inspiration!