23.1.08

Aging Sucks!

Well there's a newsflash for you... don't you just love all these boomers who act as if nobody ever got old before? I think it has something due to being hippies, delaying maturity, so it's such a shock when you start experiencing all the aches and pains of your parents.

Last night after going running with my faithful friends in a snowstorm I was feeling so strong, so like a green beret able to brave sleet and cold, so alive, so... smug. I loved running, and I hoped I could keep it up for many years. Maybe I could be one of those people still running in their seventies.

This morning I was staring at my computer screen in the very bright, sundrenched kitchen--- the storm of last night had turned into a very cold, white, sparkling bright morning. And what did I discover floating across my computer screen, no, not my screen, not my very dirty and scratched glasses, no... it was my eye. Rats. I have a floater. A tiny one, a mere speck, but there it was in the field of vision in my left eye, moving every time I moved my eye. Yes, no, maybe, yes, there it was again. And I panic. "STROKE! ANEURYISM! BLINDNESS! DETACHED RETINA! OH GOD HOW CAN I BE A BLIND PAINTER???"

All that stuff went through my brain in the space of oh, 10 seconds. Surf medical sites, google it, wiki it... ah, likely just another symptom of middle age. Oh great. Reminded again. Not a joy filled kid, but an occasionally joy filled middle aged woman. I started feeling creaky. I made an appointment with my optometrist just to check it out. Had another cup of coffee. Phoned Fuzz. He made comforting noises, said he had one a while back. He did??? Why didn't he say anything? Just didn't think to. He is so unangstful at being 51 it makes me feel sheepish, when it doesn't frustrate me completely at his unflappableness. That's him. God, I'm hungry. It's an hour to lunch. What's up with that?

Aw fuck it. I'm going to the gym. Enough retina gazing.

No comments: