26.4.06

Late Night Noshing

For most people with food issues, late evening is a problem. I'm a natural night owl and Fuzz is an early to bed guy, mainly because he has to drive 40 minutes in the morning and then cope with more than 90 hormone driven attitude factories during the day. So it used to be prime closet eating time for me.

For the last couple of years, since I'm into the rhythm of my plan of eating, I have 2 regular evening snacks and maybe a cup of decaf coffee or chai and that's it. Lately however, I've been having salt cravings after 11 pm. I usually ignore them or sate them with a pickle. I know from hard experience that crackers or popcorn is just asking for trouble: ie, the urge for more. But last night I had a third of a cup of leftover couscous and a couple of ounces of ham before going to bed. Not a binge by any means, and I had run about 4 km before dinner, so my body is getting used to being more active coming back from the hysterectomy. Maybe it truly needed some more food? But then I had eating an afternoon snack to prepare for the extra exertion...

But I still feel wierd about it. Some people in OA would declare that a break in their abstinence. I haven't. Hm. Don't know.. I guess it's not, but I don't want it to become a habit. I guess I'll see what today, a less physically active day, feels like in the late evening. I wonder if I just need to go to bed earlier unless I'm doing something worthwhile? Face it, mostly I chill out by watching Craig Ferguson, read the paper, or surf.

I may have no good answer for these questions. I'm just trying to be aware.

No comments: