28.2.06

Drive Thru Payback



One of the issues with my recovery from the hysterectomy is I was warned to not drive for three weeks after the surgery. As my abdominal wall heals, I could be unable to hit the brakes with any force in an emergency. Also, something I'm cognizant of only in retrospect is how stunned I was left by the anesthetic of major surgery, as well as the four days of post op morphine. I would have been a menace! So, I still have another week where I am relying on Fuzz and friends for transport.

I was getting a lift downtown from a friend after we attended an Overeaters Anonymous meeting yesterday morning. She had to make a deposit at the bank and we were waiting in a line for a drive through ATM. "Geez, I feel like I'm at McDonald's" she said, with a shiver. Drive-thrus come up frequently with us compulsive overeater types. Next to delivery, they are a great way to have a binge without exposing ourselves to public scrutiny, and we often pretend that we are ordering for our huge extended family, as opposed to our huge extending selves.

Sorry, that was a bit of black humour to mask the real pain and insanity of this disease. I used to do it --- one of my favorite tricks was to buy a little at each of three different drive thrus in one afternoon---but I rarely do a drive thru for anything but the bank any more. No, wait, Fuzz and I would go to the Dairy Queen a couple of times a week for a soft ice cream last summer. I hear rumours that Starbucks may be opening one near me soon, but what's the point of sitting in line forever while someone in front of me orders their triple- grande-nonfat-but-with-whip-cinnamon-dolce-latte? Oh, wait, that's me.

Yesterday in the car I started to laugh, and said to my friend "Imagine, if we could go through the fast food drive thru and deposit the food!" How about one day a month, I could go through Tim Hortons and pelt them with a percentage of all those donuts I inhaled, or give McWhacko's back all those triple cheeseburgers on styrofoam buns? Completely impractical, but oh so catharctic.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Maggie. How are you today? I'm not so hot, but I'm doing my calls and it's getting better. : ) Thank God for this program. :)

Maggie said...

Yeah, recovery is so sloooowwww... don't we know it! ;-) It's so hard to be patient, but I know I'm on the right track. Phone calls are a good idea, I don't do that enough!