14.2.06

Please Stand By While I Snooze

OK, home 2 days and recovering from Wednesday's hysterectomy with a mimimum of complications. I'm semi-mobile, shuffling around the house, albeit slowly, and I haven't ventured outside since being sprung from the hospital on Sunday. I am forbidden from driving for 3 weeks --who knew it took that many stomach muscles to hit the brakes? --- but maybe in a couple of days I can go for a little walk. On the other hand, my outing to the Costco Pharmacy on Sunday with one of those little electric shopping chair/buggies was a good demonstration as to why one should not operate heavy machinery on codeine! Drugs + the distraction of food samples, oh my! Nobody was seriously hurt, but there were a few shoppers fearing for the health of their knees...

I'll feel pretty good, climbing the stairs 4 or 5 times but then I get tired and achy and need a nap. Sitting up for longer periods is becoming easier, but my concentration is the length of the average luge run. My sentences run out of steam, and spelling suddenly is a new mystery. I'm catching up on The Sopranos but haven't yet got the concentration to read much more than a newspaper article, so I think this is the limit of my endurance for today. It's all temporary, and overall I'm feeling ahead of schedule for major abdominal surgery. I'm very grateful I was able to get into good physical shape before this because the hospital staff all termed my recovery as excellent. Now comes the hard part, being a patient patient.

I think that will be the biggest challenge for my food, coping with recovery time boredom and this creaky groany pain and fatigue. The heroic part is over, now comes the grind over the next month and a half or so. While I was in hospital, food actually took a back seat for once in my life, but of course, I was soon very focussed on eating healthy grainy stuff to get my digestive tract running again. Guess that's what it takes, not just for someone with food issues, but it was surprising to see that one of the greatest concerns of post-op recovery is digestion, or to be more specific hopefully without being too graphic: making sure that the stuff going in comes out in a timely matter!!!

Running on empty, time for some talk tv and um.... i dunno, somthing fluffy to read, likely in prelude to snooze. Lord, it's so dull, even herbal tea sounds like a good idea... Even decaf coffee seems a little too exciting for me yet.

Thanks for the supportive e-mails, I'll get back to you soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So happy to see you back and in good recovery.

Happy Valentine's Day, too, btw!

Anonymous said...

Glad to read all went well and you are snuggled in at home. Glad to see you are maintaining your sense of humor! Take care!

Juanita said...

Ugh! That is a hard surgery. I've had it, I know. Would I do it again? HELL YES! It's one of the best things I've ever done. Best wishes and hope you're feeling better soon.