23.5.06

Taking Time to Listen

Listen. Really listen. What is she saying? It's exhausting. She thinks she's talking about looking for a job, but all I hear is a stream of negatives, "I can't"s, and "They did x to me". Finally I give up and start tuning her out, because she's too busy justifying to listen to any suggestions. I can't blame her, I know I've been locked in that behaviour too, but boy, it seems like there is a lot of pain. Did I really listen or just get locked into "helpful" mode? That's my other default position.

She may have hit bottom. She sounds totally disgusted with her life right now. Sometimes listening helps with that, but it's so hard to not judge.

She's also talking about losing weight. Tried OA, didn't like the God talk. We talked a bit about the whole spirituality vs. Christianity thing.

Funny the things you get into just talking with a casual acquaintance @ Starbucks. on a cold May morning.

No comments: