26.12.05

So Far, So Good...

I continue to be amazed at how making a few changes in your routine can translate into a really different day. Usually Christmas dinner is a big complicated deal for me. Even if I was just cooking for the two of us, it was still too many dishes to count and hours and hours in the kitchen.

Christmas afternoon we had just finished putting a small turkey in the oven, together. That's new, letting Fuzz share the duties in the kitchen, and not bossing him around, letting him do things his own way --- ok, mostly. By 3 pm the bird was in, but I hadn't even found the old calendar clipping recipe I usually used for the steamed pudding. I was sick of being in the kitchen, and since it was quite warm out, I decided I wanted to get outdoors and clean the 25 cm of snow off the sidewalk that I hadn't been able to do while sick last week. The exercise would help me work off the feast yet to come.

So I did just that. The snow was really wet and heavy, but I just lifted small scoops and it was done in just over a half hour. Eventually I went inside and hunted down the pudding recipe. It was fairly simple and easy to put in the oven, although it had to wait until the roast turkey came out, which meant it wasn't ready to eat until a couple of hours after dinner, which worked out just fine.

A few small changes and life can seem much more manageable. So simple but so hard.

No comments: