21.12.05

What's Up With My Food?

Well, the trip to TO was good.

We saw the new Harry Potter on an IMAX screen... what's up with that? It's just a really really big screen, and lots of speakers... Very occasionally a sound will seem as if it's coming from behind you or to the side, and occasionally the seats will rumble. But it's not like an OMNIMAX where you are surrounded by the movie. At least it only cost a couple of dollars more than the regular viewing. I was amused by the sell job they do on it in the first 5 minutes of previews. Ok, ok, I'm here, I bought the ticket, don't try so hard, it's not working! The movie itself was, well, kind of dull. It didn't add much to the book, just some visuals, and I think that if I hadn't read the book I might have been really bored. Ralph Fiennes was a great choice for Lord Voldemort, but am I imagining things or are many of the other actors (Maggie Smith excepted of course) not very strong or just going through the motions? Particularly the kids playing Hermoine and Ron... they seemed so one dimensional, but perhaps its the script or director? Maybe it works for a certain segment of the English population who attended boarding schools, but for the rest of us...eeeeehhhh.....

The real highlight of the trip was a visit to the Ontario Science Center to see the Body Worlds show, an exhibit of anatomy made possible by the technique of plastination where real body parts are permeated with polymer solutions... I thought I would be just seeing a lot of flayed muscles but the most interesting thing I found was the preserved organs, and being able to see them exposed placed inside actual bodies. Fascinating. The other revelation was just how small those bones in the ear are... only millimeters in size, the smallest bones in the body. Fascinating. So delicate. Makes me want to take better care of my hearing.

The only weird thing was something is up with my food. I craved carbs in the worst way, and junk food. One day I ate 2 desserts. Not normal for me. I've got to do some internal digging... I'm concerned. I feel a little out of whack, but with being sick and off my exercise schedule, that's normal, but the interesting thing is this increase in appetite. Boredom? Fear? Too many Christmas sweets around?

Thank God I'm home and feeling reasonably well. Tomorrow I'm hitting an OA meeting and joining my running group for the first time in 10 days. I hope I can do that. The virus is still floating around...


No comments: