16.12.05

So Sue Me...

Yahoo!!!! We've got a white Christmas! There has got to be almost 40 cm (around a foot and a half for Americans) on the ground. It's lovely. We rarely get enough snow to make a classic Canadian Christmas so this is a real treat. My only regret is due to this damn chest infection, I can't go out and shovel it. I went for a run on Tuesday. It was a wonderful run, it was frosty cold, but I dressed right for it (layers, layers, layers) and actually enjoyed it, but the next day I felt like hell and landed straight back in bed. Life is so unfair.

Yes, I actually like shovelling, and yes, I can hear you retching from here. A couple of years ago I discovered how beautiful it is after a big storm. Everything is covered with a soothing white blanket, and the world even sounds different. It's like being a kid again, getting to play in the stuff, and it's free exercise. No trip to the gym required. It's a lot easier to enjoy the snow if you don't have to drive in it. You have to take it easy, stop regularly to smell the snowy air and take a look around, maybe stop and chat with somebody out walking their dog or one of the neighbours also digging out. Admire the determination of the chickadees and squirrels raiding the birdfeeder. Admire my handiwork. Stomp the snow off the boots and stoke the wood fireplace and have some coffee or dark hot chocolate laced with chilies. Heaven.

Alas, it's Fuzz's job today, and he doesn't like it nearly as much as I because he's so overworked. Oh well, maybe I can get out and do something in a couple of days. In the meantime, there's hot coffee and maybe a couple of biscotti that I made for presents but the first batch flopped --- as in rock hard and crumbly --- but dipped in coffee, it's ok. It has to be a pretty bad homemade cookie for me to not like it.

No comments: