8.3.06

Back, Well Sort Of, Maybe, Kinda...

Day 28 post hysterectomy! Are you tired of hearing about this? Well, I don't blame you, I'm pretty tired of it myself. I hadn't planned on it taking up this much brain space, or bandwidth.

I do use the h-word every time I talk about the surgery because I don't want to give anyone the idea I had had a gastric bypass or a similar procedure. And well, I'm sorry, but recovering from this thing has been a long, long, strange journey. A lot less pain, but a lot more patience has been required with the fatigue and just a very slow healing process. And yet, all the guideposts, medical advice and websites tell me I am experiencing a very average recovery, and I should expect another two weeks to a month of this, gradually easing back into life.

This weekend I had lots of flashes of normalcy followed by hitting the fatigue wall and taking incredibly deep naps. After decades of not being a good day sleeper, I've never been such a champion napper!

I can drive again (albeit with a cushion between myself and the seatbelt, kind of looks like I'm practicing for pregnancy!) which really helps with the invalid-itis, and then yesterday I'm standing in the cash line at a store and realized, uh oh, do I ever need to lie down. I had done too much by carrying my laptop and messenger bag 2 blocks. I bought my few purchases and almost shuffled back to the car, bent over like an old lady, trying to take the pressure off my humming tum, wondering if I could trust a fellow pedestrian with my laptop as far as the car.

Today, I'm damned if I am going to spend more than 15 minutes vertical before the evening! Excuse me, but I've got a date with some mindless tv... ahhhhhhhzzzzzz...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I didn't think it'd take this long to go through a post-operation recovery. I guess a hysterectomy is a pretty major operation, uh? It must be a pain not to be able to do much for so long! Hang in there, Maggie!

Maggie said...

Thanks for the support!

Yeah, the long recovery time is due to the large incision and the fact they took out a most of my repro system and some major 'broids, so everything in the lower abdomen has to readjust and resettle.

Like I said, it's not that painful, just takes lots of patience to let nature do its thing.

Made it through choir practice ok tonight!

cheers
Mags

Maggie said...

Beth, I'm posting a link to the Hyster Sisters website. It is worth signing up for if you are looking at a hysterectomy, a related procedure, or alternate therapies. I've found it very informative, plus they have a nice set of benchmarks for post-op recovery.

Good luck with the embolisation. I have a friend who had a good experience with it.

Mags