5.3.08

Back on My Sneakers




After spending the day waffling, I finally decided I would try running with my group, all 3 of us, last night. Thank God we were running last night when it was breezy but not too cold, and not today since the latest round of snow/ice pellets/freezing rain was unleashed upon us overnight. I was still coughing, and one of my group cracked "jeez, have ya got pleurisy?" I was coughing so much at one point, but despite the hacking and wheezing, the rest of my body felt great, and I was able to keep up and even lead the group at points. Halfway through the run I wasn't coughing much. After nearly a week of this virus making me pretty sedentary, it was really GREAT to be moving again.

It reminded me of that goofy Mel Gibson & Helen Hunt film that came out several years ago, What Women Want, I think it was, kind of a rip-off of the old Rock Hudson/Doris Day formula where a womanizing misogynist hit by lightning gains the ability to read womens' minds. Gibson plucks an idea from his ad-exec colleagues mind when they are trying to come up with a new campaign for Nike, and the tag line that stayed with me is "The road doesn't care..." As in the road doesn't care what you're wearing, how much you make, or what part is too big/too small/sagging...

When it works, running is simple. Just put one foot in front of the other. Really, so is walking. I walked several kilometers daily for years, and that was the good thing about it, just putting yourself on autopilot and going forward. Running is the same, but I think it's the intensity that hooks me. Yes, it's simple but it requires every ounce of energy, including brain space. The only thing I'm thinking is, "ok, make it to the stop sign, then we're done, oh man wanna puke, keep going, keep going just a few more steps...." and at the end I feel physically drained but mentally filled, as if mental space has been opened by the exhaustion. Maybe this is the endorphin rush, but whatever it is, everything feels quieted.

Omigod, it's an orgasm!

Maybe that thought will make the shovelling easier...

Day 126!

No comments: